Storytime Blog Hop July 2026 - Happily Ever After
Hello friends! Welcome to my newest blog hop, enjoy! And don't forget to read the other short stories linked at the bottom <3
.
.
.
.
.
All
her life, Princess Dulcinea had been told to take her position seriously. She
was to learn the way of the courts, study enough to be a good conversationalist
for her future husband, and act as a dignified and grateful queen when the time
came. Learning to fight like a knight was not on the agenda, and yet, Dulcinea
found herself more at home with a bow and arrow and the armory than flirting
behind a pretty fan at the castle.
Unfortunately,
the princess had been taken quite off guard during her afternoon ride that day
and, caught without a weapon, was quickly whisked off to who-knew-where by a
dragon.
She
screamed the whole way, thrashing and kicking to try and loose herself from the
dragon’s grasp. But the creature barely acknowledged her, and after about an
hour, Dulcinea’s voice was raw, and she went limp in the dragon’s claws.
Eventually,
the creature descended over the vast expanse of the mountains, and Dulcinea
watched as a large waterfall, bigger than any she’d ever seen, came into view.
She gasped as the dragon flew straight for the water and was surprised when the
pair broke through the downpour into a large cave, naturally set into the rocks
behind the waterfall.
The
creature dropped to the ground, and released Dulcinea, who stumbled a bit as
she tried to gather herself and turn to the monster who had kidnapped her.
Dulcinea
screamed again or at least tried to. The noise that came out of her mouth was
far from a mighty battle cry, and she clutched her throat as if a frog was
trying to escape. She tried again, to say something, anything, but the squeaks
that came out were less that intimidating.
The
dragon, a large, green beast with purple eyes, a long swan’s neck and enormous,
leathery wings, watched Dulcinea closely. It tilted its head as she tried to
speak, as if it was regarding her closely, deciding something. But Dulcinea
knew that dragons were nothing more than large predators, and there was no way
it could be contemplating her fate so casually. That would mean it was
intelligent, and Dulcinea knew dragons were not intelligent.
“I
really can’t understand a word you’re saying,” the creature suddenly spoke,
voice velvety and smooth, and Dulcinea felt her world slip away.
When
the princess awoke, she shot straight up and looked around frantically. She was
still in a cave, and there was still a dragon guarding the entrance to said
cave, but at least she was alive for now.
However,
as Dulcinea began to recall the events of the day, she landed on some fantastic
dream in which the dragon had spoken to her. But… that was impossible,
dragons didn’t speak.
“Ahhh,
you’re awake,” the dragon picked its head up to look right at the princess.
Dulcinea
almost felt as if she was going to faint again. But this time, she simply
gulped and steeled herself to speak with the beast.
“What
do you want with me?” she landed on.
The
dragon tilted its large head again. “Right to the questions. I thought maybe
you’d pass out again. Glad to see you didn’t,” it spoke, and Dulcinea was
surprised to realize that the dragon was female.
“I’ll
ask again, what do you want with me?” the princess repeated.
“Right
to the point… look, I’m not some big and bad dragon like everyone thinks,” she
explained. “I eat sheep and deer and pigs and, well… animals. I don’t
eat people. I do know many of my kind do.”
Dulcinea
blinked but gestured for the dragon to go on.
“So,
I figured I’d make a proposition to the ruler of these lands: in exchange for
my protection from other dragons, I want some sheep or oxen or cows or whatever
is available brought to me from time to time. That’s all. I won’t kill any
humans either.”
Dulcinea
furrowed her eyebrows. “I’m not the ruler, I’m just a princess,” she remarked.
The
dragon seemed to smile. “No, but your king will want you back in one piece.
You’re my bargaining chip.”
The
creature was smart; Dulcinea would give her that.
“What
do I get out of this? Seems like I’m just a pawn at this point,” the princess
raised a brow.
The
dragon nodded. “What do you want?”
Dulcinea
blinked. People very rarely asked what she wanted. The fact that this
dragon, whom she had just met, had already handed the princess some autonomy
was enough to seal the deal for Dulcinea. “I want to come back here, whenever I
want.”
The
dragon seemed to frown. “I mean, that’s not an issue but… why? If I may ask.
What does a princess want with the world of dragons?”
Dulcinea
sighed, staring at the cave floor for a moment. “I want adventure more than
anything else, to not be locked in the castle forever. I want the freedom you
have, though I know I’ll never get close. Still, this would be enough… I
think.”
The
dragon nodded. “Then it’s settled,” she remarked, then stood, moving towards
Dulcinea. “I will take you home, and in exchange, you’ll help me speak with the
king, right?”
The
princess nodded and smiled. “Right.” Then, she paused. “By the way, do you have
a name?”
The
dragon titled her great again. “Felliz, and you?”
The
princess smiled. “Dulcinea.”
While
the reception of a dragon delivering the kidnapped princess sparked much debate
in the kingdom, eventually, the royal council conceded to Felliz’s terms.
Dragon attacks declined steadily, and trade routes that were once unusable were
being maintained once more. The kingdom was grateful for the green dragon.
And Dulcinea, who was currently lounging in Felliz’s cave with a book some months after their first encounter while the dragon lounged nearby, was grateful for Felliz too.
.
.
.
.
.
Other Blog Hop Stories:
Lost in Time Wearing an Invisible Cloak by Gina Fabio
Open Wide by Amy Keeley
Awakening (Part 1 of 3) by Barbara Lund
Happily Ever After by Angelica Medlin <<< YOU ARE HERE
The Willow Haunt by Ruth Sard
Aren't You Afraid by Katharina Gerlach
A Meeting in the Dark by James Husum

Comments
Post a Comment